An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge (1961) Film by Robert Enricho


One of the finest short film ever made. I just remember first time I was seing this movie. It may be on the end of 1990s. I saw it during a film festival conducted by a local movie club. According the their schedule Isanstein's Battleship Potemkin is the first film to show and then An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge. My plan was to quit the theatre after Potemkin. But fortunately, the film print of Potemkin reached late. So that they decided to play Owl Creek Bridge first. I was disturbed and began to go out to have a smoke. But my friend insisted my to watch the movie. And I sat again. Slowly, I began to involve in the film. It was a strange feeling totally moved me...

The plot of the film is A man is sentenced to death by a military court and hung from the side of a bridge. But instead the rope snaps, the man falls into the river. He manages somehow to swim through the downstreams and escapes to a safe bank of the river afar. He runs through the forest and finally returns home somehow. But when he is about to hug his wife and her arms to go around him, his neck snaps at the end of the rope. The execution succeed.

The last twist of the movie gives a heavy shock on each and every viewers.

Comments

Popular Posts